Topic-icon htpasswd authentication error

• rhythmicnature
  • rhythmicnature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #4826 by rhythmicnature
htpasswd authentication error was created by rhythmicnature
[Thu Jul 13 19:26:10 2017] [error] [client 216.158.224.10] user nimda2: authentication failure for "/index.php": Password Mismatch

I've checked and double checked the user name and password. I've even added new ones on the server to make it work. This is really frustrating. None of my websites will work with this software and the setup time for each website is ridiculous. Hand writing each key for each website? hand writing each download id. Searching through the menus looking for where to put those? There's no labeling on what "frontend" and "backend" mean in the context of "manage websites". I had to look up in the manual and even then it's not clear that they mean whether or not both the front end and back end need authentication. What happens when the frontend has a different password from the backend???

I'm sorry, I'm just really frustrated. I've been working with this for days now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #4827 by Jose
Replied by Jose on topic htpasswd authentication error
Hi rhythmicnature,

My name is Jose and I'm the owner and main developer of Securitycheck extensions.

I apologize if this feature is not clear; I will test if there is a bug and authentication is not working.

You're right and you must use the same htpasswd in frontend and backend; to be honest you're the first customer that uses this feature in backend and frontend (at least nobody has reported this yet).

Could you be so kind to suggest how to improve the extension?

Regards,
Jose

• rhythmicnature
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #4829 by rhythmicnature
Replied by rhythmicnature on topic htpasswd authentication error
Thanks Jose.
I'm really impressed at how quickly you got on here to address my concerns. Thank you.

Suggestions? I would like to find a faster way to set up all the websites. One way this could be done is to prepare an encrypted file that you can download from your account on the securitycheck website which includes all the set up information for all the websites, including <downloadid> and pregenerated <securitykey>. Make it installable using the Joomla update mechanism. This should be optional.

Another idea is to have all the servers aware of each other (like a cloud environment). When you update the key on one site, you can ask if you want to propagate the information to any other site in that network.

One of the big things in terms of the user experience is having the SecurityCheck server interface be responsive in some way. I'd like to be able to access my information from my cel phone for instance. As it is, I travel with a Surface Pro 4 and I have to scroll left and right to see the information on my screen.

In a related matter, if you have to have an interface that scrolls left and right, it'd be better to put the "checkbox" selectors all on the left side so that you don't have to scroll for each line you want to select. Right now, the alias and the label are on the left side, but the checkbox is all the way on the right. so you have to scroll right, select, scroll down, scroll left, read label, scroll right, select again, scroll left, scroll down, read label, scroll right, select ... etc.

Anyway - thanks for looking into this for me.

Frank

More
1 year 4 months ago #4831 by Jose

Thanks Jose.
I'm really impressed at how quickly you got on here to address my concerns. Thank you.

You're welcome Frank!

Thank you very very much for your suggestions. Customers feedback is really important for me. I will study how to add your improvements in future versions.

Another idea is to have all the servers aware of each other (like a cloud environment). When you update the key on one site, you can ask if you want to propagate the information to any other site in that network.

I don't understand this. Do you mean if you update the secret key in the remote to automatically propagate this change in Control Center?

Regards,
Jose

More
1 year 4 months ago #4832 by Jose
Hi Frank,

I have found an stupid bug in Control Center preventing all features work when frontend is protected using a .htpasswd file. I have just uploaded a modified version; please, download and install it.

Regards,
Jose

• rhythmicnature
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #4835 by rhythmicnature
Replied by rhythmicnature on topic htpasswd authentication error
Great! Where do I find the modified version?
And, thank you, Jose.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds