• spike1968
  • spike1968's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7119 by spike1968
Locked Tables Enhancements was created by spike1968
Hi Jose,

I read that it is not advisable to lock tables for eCommerce production sites.

Are there plans to add enhancements to allow locking of certain elements?

It would be nice if this could be added so that we could lock the back end only whilst allowing front end use to be uninhibited.

Obviously this is more challenging than a sticky button :)

Just a thought.

Cheers
Martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spike1968
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7120 by spike1968
Replied by spike1968 on topic Locked Tables Enhancements
Just to add to this:
My thoughts are that a cron action shuts down the backend at a certain time of day and then activates it the following morning thereby protecting certain parts of the backend, such as product changes etc but still allows purchases.
As I write this I can see that this would need to allow new order creation etc. Would this be possible?
I use virtuemart btw.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7121 by Jose
Replied by Jose on topic Locked Tables Enhancements
Hi Martyn,

The idea of lock the backend in certain hours is really good and I thought to add it in the past, but finally I discarded it because I thought the backend was protected enough with all the other features.

My thoughts are that a cron action shuts down the backend at a certain time of day and then activates it the following morning thereby protecting certain parts of the backend, such as product changes etc but still allows purchases.
As I write this I can see that this would need to allow new order creation etc. Would this be possible?
I use virtuemart btw.

This would be possible but doing it manually. This is: there is an option to lock the tables you desire into Global configuration -> Lock tables. If you set the "Easy view" to "No" you will be able to add, for instance, virtuemart_products or any other table.

This would prevent any unauthorized modification. But you should launch a "Lock tables" task manually from Control Center every evening and an "Unlock tables" task every morning. Or if you are able to distinguish which tables are not modified during a customer purchase then you can lock all of them because you will be sure it will not affect your business.

I don't recommend this option on ecommerce or live sites because during a purchase there are many affected tables but if you are able to locate all of them (for instance using a test environment) then you will be fully protected against unauthorized changes.

Regards,
Jose
Attachments:

• spike1968
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7126 by spike1968
Replied by spike1968 on topic Locked Tables Enhancements
Thanks, I'll have a play in a test environment... Very nice facility I missed.
Thanks

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7127 by Jose
Replied by Jose on topic Locked Tables Enhancements
You're welcome!

Regarding to the "sticky" buttons of the other post, I will add the improvement in the next version (1.1.30).

Regards,
Jose

More
1 week 3 days ago #8081 by lumares
Replied by lumares on topic Locked Tables Enhancements
Would be great to know what tables are can be locked when using Virtuemart. if anyone has an idea what tables should be excluded, please post those. i'll try and seek when i can (for now I just don't use locked tables on any commerce site)

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds