Menu

Topic-icon I cannot configure Backend Protection on multiple

• leannely
  • leannely's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 7 months ago #399 by leannely
I have multiple sites on my web server, and I am trying to install Securitycheck Pro on all the sites that I host. I am particularly interested in the Backend Protection, though I will enable other features at a later date.

At this time, however, I am able to get the protection to work on ONE of my sites, but not on any others. This is how I proceeded to configure on the second site:

I have no current .htaccess file for this site. This is reflected in my file list (in FTP) but also confirmed when I click on the htaccess protection button in Securitycheck Pro. It says, “There isn’t a .htaccess file. A new default .htaccess file will be created.”

I scroll to the bottom and click “generate key” on backend protection.
I click “protect my site” at the top, and green confirmations appear near each option “This option has been applied to the current .htaccess.” I click save and close. I receive the confirmation that “The option has been applied to the current .htaccess.”

I double check in FTP that an .htaccess file has been created, and it has. In fact, I actually view compare the two .htaccess files from the site that works perfectly, and the site that I just configured, and the files are identical, except for the URL of the site, and the key, of course.

I test the configuration by attempting to access the administrator page ( www.mysite.com/administrator ) and it allows me to access it without having to use the new URL with the key.

The two websites are configured IDENTICALLY, I have triple and quadruple checked this. Both are using the same versions of Joomla, with SecurityCheckPro 2.5.4. They are hosted on the same server, so they have the same version of Apache/PHP/MYSQL.

I also thought perhaps it was a fluke, that there must be something different with this site, so I gave up, uninstalled the software, and moved along to another site on my web server. I have the same luck— I am not able to configure this on the third site, either, again, even after checking multiple times that all settings are the same for the first (working) site and the subsequent sites.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #400 by Jose
Hi leannely,

This is quite strange. If this feature works for one site, it should work for the others...

This feature only needs the apache mod_rewrite module enabled to work. There should be something that could interfere with its behaviour: another .htaccess file in your root folder. Do you have an .htaccess file in your root or administrator folders?

Regards

• leannely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 7 months ago #401 by leannely
I should have noted earlier that, based on some other troubleshooting items I found in the forums, I had already checked for an .htaccess file in either the root directory and/or the administrator directory. There are none.
Also, I checked my httpd.conf file, and LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/apache2/mod_rewrite.so is NOT commented out. So it should be loading fine, and I see it enabled in my phpinfo settings.
I also enabled URL rewriting int he Joomla Global Configuration, though I am not certain if that needed to be or not (it is not enabled for the site that is working properly).
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

More
6 years 7 months ago #402 by Jose
You're welcome!

URL rewriting must not be enabled to make this feature work. I'm going to send you a private email to ask you for access to the the site to see what's happening.

Regards.

• leannely
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 7 months ago #405 by leannely
I haven't received the email yet, can you confirm that you have sent it? I am on somewhat of a deadline, as we are needing to implement our security features on a timeline. Thank you in advance!

More
6 years 7 months ago #406 by Jose
Yes, I can confirm I sent you three emails. The first one, where I asked for an administrative access to any of your sites, was replied by Jodie Griffiths, who told me that this was impossible. I asked for an .htaccess file to see if something was wrong, but nobody replied...

The last one was sent you two or three days ago, and I asked you for the issue, but also there was no reply... I can't do much from here if I can't access to any of your sites but you can send me the .htaccess file (to my personal email) to see if there is something wrong.

Regards.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds