Topic-icon Excessive 404 & Access Denied Errors

• UsardDrummer
  • UsardDrummer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 5 months ago #5310 by UsardDrummer
Excessive 404 & Access Denied Errors was created by UsardDrummer
Was contacted by a member that today he and his associates could not access informational files at our website www.usard.org . I could not duplicate the error and the person contacting me was eventually able to access the mentioned files. I checked on Google Webmaster Tools and found that since installing Security Check Pro, I've had 62 404 errors and 781 access denied errors. Randomly checked the failing URLs and they are good. Now I understand that the job of this extension is to deny access, but this time of the year, there are members needing to renew their subscription and/or registering for the up-coming annual convention.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #5311 by Jose
Replied by Jose on topic Excessive 404 & Access Denied Errors
Hi!

For 404 errors try disabling the "determine option accuratelly" (Global configuration -> Tuning). In some sites it can cause 404 errors.

For 403 errors check if you have banned some Googlebot IP (Web firewall configuration -> Lists -> Blacklist). If you're not sure if you're blocking it, export the IPs and delete the list. If this work then there is an IP blocked.
There is also an unofficial list of IPs ( here ); you can check also check them.

Regards,
Jose

• UsardDrummer
  • UsardDrummer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 5 months ago #5345 by UsardDrummer
Replied by UsardDrummer on topic Excessive 404 & Access Denied Errors
No significant changes after making changes you have recommended. See attached screen shot from today:
(Also, do I need to restore the exported IP address, which I deleted?)
Attachments:

More
2 years 5 months ago #5346 by Jose
Replied by Jose on topic Excessive 404 & Access Denied Errors
Well, assuming the Geoblock feature is not blocking Google bots and there are no other log entries in SCP, then the only thing that could cause the issue is the .htaccess. There is a list of predefined user-agents blocked; I think it can't cause the issue because it's the same for all my customers and nobody has reported the blocking of google bots. However, you can try renaming the current .htaccess file and also rename the htaccess.txt you fill find on your root folder. This will restore the Joomla core .htaccess, that doesn't have any rule.

If this doesn't work then SCP is not causing the issue.

Also, do I need to restore the exported IP address, which I deleted?

Follow the steps above and after that import deleted IPs.

Regards,
Jose

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds